AppUpdate BETA 3 is now available in the Android Market!
To try it out just get it from the Android Market.
AppUpdateTM is a friend-sourced app-discovery network that helps you and your friends on Facebook find and share the best Android apps.
Follow us on Twitter (@AppUpdateTweets)
Check out the April 20th, 2011 MoDevDC AppUpdate presentation video.
The server side software has been updated and now includes a number of new features:
- crossposting to Facebook now works. You can turn crossposting off and on via the Settings menu in the upper right after you log in.
- the profile view has been expanded to include all of your app recommendations and updates.
AppUpdate BETA 3 is now available from the Android Market! This is a massive update with countless improvement and a bunch of new features including:
- notifications are now working correctly.
- you can now select how often AppUpdate should check for notifications from the main screen (just press the menu button)
- when looking at the news feed or top apps list, you can now see what group you're looking at, whether friends or everyone.
- you can post comments to updates and even suggest an app to go along with a comment.
- the app info page now lets you select to see updates about that app by your friends or other public members.
- long click context menus are available on most items. (click and hold on an app or update to see the options.)
- you can now delete updates and comments by long clicking selecting delete from the menu.
- you can now unshare an app by long clicking on the app from your My Apps screen and selecting unshare app.
We've also fixed quite a number of bugs, but as always if you notice any weirdness please let us know.
For questions and comments about this release, please post in the users forum.
A nasty "force close" bug made it through our testing. If you clicked on an app shared by someone who was not a friend AppUpdate would crash. We've addressed this and done a quick release of AppUpdate Beta 2. To install it go here.
After many more months of work than we were planning, AppUpdate Beta 1 is now available! This is an OPEN BETA which means you are free to share it on with anyone you would like. For more information check out the release notes article.
If you are on your Android 2.2 mobile device just head over to the Mobile Page to install it.
We've been working on finishing up:
- a "recommend an app" feature where as part of a comment to an app status update you'll be able to include one of the apps that you have shared.
- notifications when someone posts a comment on your updates or one of your friends shares a new app. You'll be notified by email and in the app. The email notification feature can be turned off from the site.
- we've been making quite a bit of progress improving the performance of the app.
We've received the video footage from the April 20th 2011 MoDevDC presentation which I've posted in a blog article here.
AppUpdate was publically presented for the first time at the MoDevDC meetup where 125 mobile developers and members of the business community attended. The event was recorded and I'm hoping to get a link to the video.
We've gone through a few interations of alpha releases and are approaching beta status. The app is being used by an increasing number of alpha testers and we are getting really good feedback.
The first alpha version of the Android AppUpdate app is now working and we are starting alpha testing. If you have an android phone, the facebook app installed and are up for some early alpha testing please contact me.
Stacie, of 48thAve Productions, is working on a look for the AppUpdate site and soon you will be able to get all the same social views of apps here that you can on the phone app.
Check back for more updates on our progress.